Saturday, April 10, 2010

Drunken Scotch

Has it been a week already and no new posts?  I'll try to do better.

Had a playdate with my mom and my aunt where I taught them a technique called Drunken Scotch (and no, I didn't tell Mom the name until AFTER we were finished!).  I read about it on KAT Toys website here.  I'll give you our take on it.


First, we needed some die cuts, but I forgot to bring the chipboard, so Aunt D dug through the trash (excuse me, recycling) for some empty cracker boxes.  And to my scrapbooking sister, yes, I know - cracker boxes are NOT archival.  But I figure my cards won't care.  


We used a Spellbinders die called Timeless Heritage to cut out some keys and lockets.  Cut them out with the Wizard, but it was a tiiigghhtt squeeze.  They really don't need the second step of embossing because of the finish that's going on them.




It's pretty easy - just squirt some glue on the diecuts, spread it out to completely cover (we used our trusty fake credit cards) and while it's still wet, drop a few drops of alcohol inks on top of the glue.  We used a couple of different shades of brown, which all kind of ran together on the wet glue. 

Now zap it with the heat gun until it starts bubbling.  You want to be careful and not really let the bubbles burst, because then you're left with holes in the coating.  If you look closely, you can see the spots with the bare chipboard in this picture.




So just keep the heat gun moving around so that it bubbles and then deflates, until the whole thing is dry.  If you do get some holes, don't panic - you can fill them in later with a Sharpie.


The reason it's called Drunken Scotch is because the creator used Scotch clear glue for the technique.  None of us had any of that, so we tried a few others and the one that worked best for us was Elmer's Glue Pen.  I think it used to be clear, although it's turned kind of amber with age - but it still worked just fine. 


That's it - pretty easy, huh?  I did notice that it was still tacky a day or two later - in fact, one of the pieces was sitting underneath another sheet of paper and the paper stuck to it.  Now that was going to be a problem for making a card!  So I took my Embossing Buddy and pounced it over the top and then dusted it off on my jeans.  No more sticky!  In fact, it dulled the finish down and made it look even more rusty, which I liked.




Oh, you want a card with it?  Oh, okay - nothing fancy.  It's a Stampin'Up background stamp (French Script), a Fiskars clear stamp for the sentiment and two Spellbinders dies for the middle piece, all sponged with Distress ink.  Used the Martha Stewart picket fence border punch for the border and the locket is hanging from a small brad.




Thought the turquoise added a little spark of color in that sea of browns!

Enjoy - but don't get too drunk!  Moderation is my mantra~    

5 comments:

  1. Love the card and sentiment. How come your things always seem to go together so nicely? It must be that early start you had and a mother who encouraged it by hanging your art work in her kitchen. Who's Norman?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Holly. I'm Evette, your Mom's friend. Your card is really nice. I'll have to try that drunken scot thing. How about putting a picture of Jeri on your blog?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! I'm working on some things with chipboard right now, and can't wait to try this. (I just wish I could post things without being "anonymous"!) Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK ... I tried this last night, but don't think I had the right clear glue. I think the one I had is Tsuniko. First time I had the glue to thin and it just did nothing when I heated it. Flipped the chipboard over, and did a very thick layer ... this time, while it was fun to watch, it just looked like a kid blowing bubble gum. When I took the heat gun away, it collapsed on itself, which gave it some texture, but not the look you got! Went to JoAnn's today and found some Scotch clear glue ... will try again tonight. Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. I give up ... mine just don't bubble right! Looks like a MB training session. Lisa

    ReplyDelete